How does our face age?
As we age, many changes occur in our body’s processes, no matter how good our genes are. This affects how we feel, but also how we look. The ageing process of our face is an example of this.
The most important features of facial ageing are:
- The decrease in subcutaneous volume. Both bone and adipose tissue structures decrease in volume meaning the skin is less well supported.
- The skin itself deteriorates in quality, dehydrates faster and the process of cell renewal is slower.
- Muscle activity changes and muscle tone decreases.
This causes wrinkles and folds in our face, we distinguish the
following types of wrinkles:
- Static wrinkles and folds:
caused by loss of volume and reduction in skin quality. These wrinkles are mild and superficial at the beginning of the ageing process and deepen over time.
- Dynamic wrinkles or mimic wrinkles:
caused by a change in muscle activity.
The ageing process is often presented as an inverse V.
- The younger the face, the firmer the skin and the clearer the contours, the face has a V-shape.
- During the ageing process the contours fade and the skin becomes less firm, the V reverses.
How can I prevent wrinkle formation?
The causes of facial ageing we described above are what we call intrinsic factors, factors that everyone has to deal with and on which we ourselves have little influence.
There are also extrinsic factors that can influence the ageing process, including:
- UV rays
- Bad eating and drinking habits
- Poor general skin care
This means that a healthy lifestyle and the right eating habits, enable us to significantly reduce the damage caused by the extrinsic factors.
The following precautions can be taken to maintain a youthful appearance:
- Use a moisturizing facial cream, ideally with UV protection
- Protect your skin from the sun
- Do not smoke
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, avoid too much fat and sugar
- Drinking sufficient water
What are the main symptoms of facial aging?
On the following pages, you will find objective illustrations depicting a number of zones in the face, each graded with a scale from 0 to 4 in the ageing process. These illustrations are called the Merz-ScalesTM and were developed by the pharmaceutical company Merz Aesthetics together with specialists in aesthetic diagnosis and medicine. For more information, please consult your physician.
An important change takes place in the cheekbones. This zone is particularly subject to volume loss. Loss of volume at the level of the cheekbones often leads to wrinkles and folds on the underside of the face (e.g. the nasal lip folds).
The cheeks are also subject to volume loss due to the ageing process. As a result, wrinkles and folds can appear, causing a somewhat dissatisfied and unhealthy expression.
Nose lip folds
The wrinkles between the nose and corners of the mouth, the nasolabial folds, are often the first signs of ageing in the face. Loss of volume and sagging skin on the face cause the adipose tissue to shrink and the nasolabial fold to appear. Constant muscle activities such as laughing and talking deepen these wrinkles.
Marionette lines are the lines that run from the corners of the mouth to the chin. These too can arise at a fairly young age and often cause a sad look.
A very common and well known phenomenon are the hamster cheeks that develop at the level of the jawline, due to loss of volume in the face and sagging skin.
With the passage of time, the corners of your mouth can start to hang, giving you a sad expression.
For slim or very sporty women, hands can often be a problem area. As the years go by, the fatty tissue under the skin of our hands becomes thinner. As a result, veins and tendons become more visible and the skin loses volume.
Possible treatment with an injectable filler such as Radiesse®
Your doctor has advised you a treatment with Radiesse®. Below you will find the most important information on the product, its effectiveness and risks. Please read this information properly so that you make an informed choice. Other injectable fillers are also available. If you would like more information, please consult your physician.
What is Radiesse®?
The injectable filler Radiesse® is injected into the skin to reduce wrinkles or folds, to correct areas where volume loss has occurred or to accentuate certain facial areas.
How does Radiesse® work?
Radiesse® consists of a gel-matrix, which, thanks to fine calcium phosphate microspheres, ensures the body’s own collagen formation. The gel is broken down by the body within 3 months. At the same time, the microspheres stimulate the production of the body’s own collagen, which produces a result that lasts up to 12 months for most patients. The diagram below illustrates what happens in the skin when Radiesse® is injected.
The Radiesse® range is available with and without lidocaine. Lidocaine is a local anesthetic which makes the treatment less painful.
What precedes treatment with Radiesse®?
A number of steps have to be taken before the treatment takes place, among others:
Your doctor will ask you to complete a medical questionnaire. Fill it out as correctly as possible. Your medical condition may influence the treatment as well as the results, for example:
- Previous treatments with fillers
- Previous surgical treatments
- Certain medications you are taking or have recently taken
- General condition of the skin
Your doctor will inform you of the treatment options, the expected effect, the benefits and the risks. The most common side effects are (as is often the case with any form of injection):
- Fluid accumulation (edema)
- Discolouration and sensitivity at the injection area
Although the side effects are usually mild and of a temporary nature, it still worthwhile giving them some thought.
Possible points to discuss before treatment:
- How long the effects of the treatment will last
- The costs of the treatment
- Are there other things you should take into account?
What happens during the treatment?
- The injectable filler Radiesse® is injected into the skin using a fine needle and/or cannula to reduce wrinkles or folds, to correct areas where volume loss has occurred, or to accentuate certain facial areas.
- Treatment with injectables can cause slight discomfort or pain during treatment. That is why a local anaesthetic is usually applied to make the treatment as comfortable as possible. You may feel this anaesthetic for some time.
- To ensure an even result, the doctor will massage the treated area, which may cause your skin to be temporarily red or swollen. Your doctor will advise you on what to do after the treatment.
- A treatment usually takes about 30 minutes, but this of course depends on the number of zones to be treated.
What do you need to take into account after treatment?
- Many patients continue their daily activities immediately after treatment. However, please follow the advice of your attending physician.
- You may feel mild to moderate burning or pain after an injection. The treated area may even be sensitive for a few days after the treatment.
- Swelling and discoloration (redness or bruising) of the injection site is a common side effect of injectables.
- By keeping an ice or cold compress on the treated area(s) during the first hours after treatment, you can somewhat reduce the extent and duration of discoloration and swelling. If the swelling and redness persists for more than 5 days, contact your treating physician.
- After 24 hours you may carefully clean the treated area and wear make-up, unless the attending physician tells you otherwise.
- Do not expose the treated area to intense heat (e.g. sun, solarium, sauna, etc.) or other intense facial treatments for the first week after treatment.
- It is recommended to make another appointment with your doctor 6 to 12 weeks after treatment.
- Radiesse® is gradually broken down over time. Remember that the results are only temporary.
Questions and answers
How long do the effects of Radiesse® last?
All corrections made with Radiesse® remain visible in most patients for a year or more, but the duration of the effect may vary from person to person, depending on age, skin type, lifestyle and muscle activity.
Is Radiesse® a permanent implant?
No. The product is biodegradable and is completely absorbed by the body.
Can Radiesse® be used in combination with other products?
It is possible to use Radiesse® in combination with other dermal fillers (e.g. hyaluronic acids). Radiesse® should not be injected if there are already permanent implants present in the area to be treated. Should you already have implants there, do not forget to report this to your doctor.
Can Radiesse® be felt under the skin?
The product may be felt for a short period of time, just after treatment. The stimulation of the body’s own collagen increases the strength of the tissue perceptibly.
What should I do if side effects occur?
In this case, contact your attending physician.
When can I have a repeat treatment?
Usually the effect of the treatment remains visible for up to a year.
Should you require an additional or a repeat treatment, please follow your doctor’s advice.
- Radiesse 1.5 cc € 550,-
- Radiesse 3.0 cc € 850,-
Use the free (and obligation-free) consultation, to ask any questions you may have. The doctor will examine, together with you, the possibilities that best suit your body. Should you want another appointment after this one or need more information, we would be delighted to oblige. This is your body we are talking about, you deserve the best so make that appointment. Essential Aesthetics is proud to have already helped so many patients on their journey to a more beautiful body and is honored with a satisfaction score of no less than 96%. Read the reviews here
Now it is your turn! Book a free personal consultation with one of our care team specialists via 070 220 2222. Because you are essential to us.
The second consultation with your chosen surgeon costs € 50 and is then deducted from the cost of the operation(s). Even if you do not go forward and book a treatment with us after the second consultation, you will still have received, for € 50, an extensive and medically sound consultation which will provide you with a lot of information, and a valuable basis for any subsequent steps.
Before / After
Why choose Essential Aesthetics
Essential Aesthetics is a special clinic with ISO-9001 and NEN-8009 certification, in a beautiful monumental building in The Hague. We are specialised in plastic surgery, injectables, weight loss and anti-ageing treatments. From our vision, Essential Aesthetics offers you as much guidance as possible in all disciplines necessary for a healthy lifestyle.
Our clinic was born from the passion of one woman. The passion for beauty and a deep sense of gratitude for all that our body gives us has led to the life work of the owner and founder: a clinic that encourages women to become more self-confident and empowered and to enjoy more of the gift of a beautiful and healthy body. And that’s what Essential Aesthetics does with a passionate team of Dutch, international doctors and experience experts. Essential Aesthetics is a brand made by women, for women. It’s a lot to trust your body to someone else. We understand that and therefore offer you only the best and safety from our clinic.
You can come to our clinic for fillers, muscle relaxants treatments but also for plastic surgery: breast augmentation, buttock augmentation, face lifts, liposuction and more. What makes our clinic unique is that we will also be offering you professional DNA research, nutritional advice, connective tissue massage and sports guidance.
Meet our specialists
Our ISO-9001 and NEN-8009 certified clinic only works with experienced qualified specialists with passion for the profession, who care and have an eye for your needs and wishes as our patient, with respect for your natural beauty. Our business is built around fulfilling your wishes! We bring in the commitment to details, to the highest quality and safety requirements, to ensure the best result. Thanks to our international doctors active in the field and up to date with the latest trends and techniques, we can help you to get the best result possible. Our specialists are looking forward to working with you to see how we can make your dream come true. The Essential Aesthetics care team is there for you before, during and after the journey. From the intake to the aftercare. With us you are in capable, safe hands because you are essential to us.
Dr. Aniel Sewnaik
Dr. Sewnaik is a BIG-registered physician with years of experience in reconstructive surgery to the head and neck. What is unique about Dr. Sewnaik, is that he combines his surgical skills and medical knowledge of the anatomy of the face to perform refined injectable treatments.
Alexandra has over 20 years of experience in the field of health care and (inner) beauty. She assists the doctor during the consultation, but is mainly there as your point of contact. Personal attention combined with knowledge of the many treatments and procedures that our clinic can offer, ensures the right advice and ultimately the treatment that suits you best.